Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Let It Simmer

I love street photography. Anyone who knows me well enough or follows my work has heard me talk about it numerous times. It's a rush, pure and simple. Just like a junkie its addicting and can even be dangerous. With that being said, sometimes a little break is needed to refresh, rethink, reevaluate and to observe things that inspire you. I've been reading a lot of material from international street photographer Eric Kim ( http://erickimphotography.com ). Eric's work is pretty amazing as he's been all over the world to capture great street shots. One thing he preaches often is not posting your work right away. The theory is that like a good wine or my personal favorite tequila, the longer you let them sit, the better they get. This theory applies to an extent, if your photo is no good to begin with, it wont get any better with time. The thought is that you'll have a better understanding, depth, attention to detail, and perspective on your work. You may possibly see things you didn't before, maybe you just didn't like it at the time, a lot of factors are involved when you do this. Going through my last visit to Phoenix I saw some photos I've been sitting on and figured i'd share them with you. The last photo is one from here in Tucson. I was able to get that shot while driving on my way to work. I always carry the camera in the passenger seat just in case I happen to see something. 90% of street photography is being there and having your camera ready, even if you're driving. The best cameras in the world wont point themselves at the moment and capture them, it's up to you.

All photos on this post taken with a Canon EF-S 18-55mm F/3.5-5.6 mounted on a Canon T2i body

This man kept walking in circles, head pointed down the whole time

1/250s,  F/8.0,  ISO 1600

1/250s,  F/8.0,  ISO 1600

1/500s,  F/8.0,  ISO 1600

1/1250s,  F/8.0,  ISO 1600

Wearing the shirt of the band you're going to see, don't be that guy

1/1250s,  F/8.0,  ISO 3200

1/3200s,  F/8.0,  ISO 3200

It's march and it's Phoenix, AZ and he's wearing a hoodie

1/1000s,  F/8.0,  ISO 400

Stretcher

Fin

No comments:

Post a Comment