Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Squeezing in

I know I said my next post would be about my trip to California but before I left I went out street shooting and was able to get some images I felt needed to be shown while I work on my California photos and posts. Since I've been doing alot of street shooting lately I figured I would give you my top 4 tips for successful street photos if that's what you wanna do.

1.) Follow your gut. If you wanna take a photo of someone on the street you first have to decide if you're going to ask them for permission or not. If not, act quickly and get the shot but don't be a creep about it and linger. Wait until their focus is on something else and not paying attention. If you're going to ask, be friendly and introduce yourself, tell them you're taking street photos and you like meeting new people.

2.) When shooting during the day use a smaller aperture like F/8. I do this during the day for a few reasons. Since there is plenty of light available this helps because if you need to raise the camera to your eye quickly and snap off a shot you know whatever is in your frame is gonna be in focus because of the deep depth of field from smaller apertures. There is nothing worse than getting that shot but completely missing focus on your intended subject.

3.) When shooting at night use your camera's highest possible useable ISO and a large aperture fixed focal length lens like a cheap 50mm F/1.8 (they can be picked up for less than $100). I do this because when shooting at night there is obviously alot less light available. Instead of using a slower shutter speed to let in more light. Use your higher ISO and large aperture so you don't get motion blur from moving subjects. There is nothing worse than getting the shot and while the background is in focus your subject is blurry from their movement and being capture by a slow shutter speed.

4.) Get in the zone. Street photography is special because its real and raw. Photography in general is not a spectator sport and great images are not going to make themselves. Observe your surrounding and pay attention for something that catches your eye. The higher your power of observation becomes, you'll get better photos and a higher percentage of keepers.

Well, I hope you enjoyed my advice and if you have any street photos you took that you wanna show me send them to my email at Ricopico8@gmail.com

Working hard for the money

His massive chain caught my eye


Lighting her ciggy

I met this girl and her friends, it happened to be her 21st birthday




Bros leaving Le club

This person didn't say a word and didn't move at all
Bokehlicious


These dudes work late
Shot this from the window of my moving car while turning at an intersection


No comments:

Post a Comment